We are present where our customers need us to be.

The company’s extensive network of truck, rail and barge transportation is a key ingredient of its factory-to-dealer solution. Find out here how they do it.

1. COVERING CUSTOMERS’ KEY MARKETS
WWL’s core areas for inland distribution include North America, Europe, Thailand and India, as well as China and South Africa. “We are present where our customers need us to be,” says Kim Buøy, Head of Terminals & Inland Services. WWL is responsible for the North American inland distribution of all Nissan vehicles produced and imported there. This summer when Nissan began manufacturing vehicles in Chennai, India, WWL was put in charge of inland distribution for the entire country there as well.

2. HIGH-VOLUME ADVANTAGES
In 2009 WWL transported approximately two million units via inland distribution worldwide. About 90 percent of these units were cars, while the remaining 10 percent came from the high and heavy segment. Of the total shipments, 40 percent were transported by truck, and 60 percent by rail, though the company also ships by barge where this might be faster, such as special destinations in China and Europe. “WWL’s high volume of units gives us unique buying power when we procure transportation,” says Buøy. “This helps us keep prices down for customers.”

3. THOROUGH MARKET UNDERSTANDING
WWL brings in-depth experience and knowledge to its customers’ businesses all over the world. In mature markets like North America and Europe, WWL’s established network enables the company to transport products as quickly as possibly to their end destination. In emerging markets like India and Thailand, ensuring high quality and reliability is of utmost importance. “An example of this is in Thailand, where we brought down trainers from Europe who spent twelve months training truck drivers about safety, fuel efficiency, and lashing vehicles,” says Buøy.

4. EFFICIENCY AND KNOWLEDGE
One of the biggest challenges for the trucking industry in Europe is increasing empty mileage resulting from transportation flows developing in only one direction. For WWL, such situations require careful planning and strict fuel efficiency standards, as well as an increased use of railway transportation. “We provide our customers with extensive knowledge about optimization,” Buøy says. This knowledge has been crucial in newer projects, such as transporting Caterpillar mining equipment to inner Mongolia and combine harvesters to Ukraine, Georgia and Afghanistan, as well as with transports throughout Europe and North America.

5. INVESTING IN THE FUTURE
WWL is now in the process of exchanging older trucks in its fleet with the new Euro 5 trucks, which produce the least emissions and offer the most modern engine technology on the market. The trucks, which will even meet the strict Euro 6 requirements taking effect in 2014, help WWL’s customers reduce emissions in their supply chain. WWL has also been investing in new trucks for transporting rolling equipment, and in heavy-lift trailers in Europe, capable of carrying even larger loads.


comments powered by Disqus